Due to the COVID 19 emergency, the monthly meeting has been canceled
The meeting has been canceled.
This month the meeting will held at the Jack Benny Center at Bowen Park
- Monty and Rose – The piping plovers that tried Waukegan first but moved to Montrose Harbor and successfully nested.
Presented by Bob Dolgan, Filmmaker
See website for reserved free ticket registration!
Showing at 7:00 PM
- Lake Michigan Watershed Plan – Status on CAG feedback
- Great Lakes Now
Overview of 2019 Great Lakes Events – Interesting site you may like
From Detroit Public TV and others
- Lake Michigan Watershed Plan
Lake County Stormwater Management Commission, Presented by Mike Prusila
o Big picture overview and goals
o SMC is looking for feedback from stakeholders on flood problems in areas within the Waukegan Lakefront area of the Lake Michigan watershed
- Great Lakes Adaptive Sports Association (GLASA)
Presented by Cindy Housner, Executive Director
o Overview of the mission and goals of GLASA
o Program ideas for ADA kayaking and canoeing in Waukegan Harbor
o Small but important upgrades needed for the new Waukegan Harbor ADA kayak/canoe launch
- Oak Ecosystem Recovery Program – Chicago Wilderness and Morton Arboretum
o Quick overview of two 2019 Oaktober Events
o Ideas how to carry program into Waukegan Harbor Area of Concern and Extended Area of Concern with our many partners.
- Waukegan Lakefront History – story mapping short videos
- Prepared by 8th and 9th grade Cool Learning Experience students in summer 2019
- Presented by Barbara Waller
- Waukegan Harbor Citizens’ Advisory Group (CAG)
- Working breakout session to develop the content chapters for our big story mapping project covering the history and projects of the Waukegan Harbor CAG since its formation in August of 1990 to present.
- This will provide a written, an oral and a photographic record of why and how the Waukegan Harbor CAG was formed, the agencies involved and their missions, and all the steps, actions and projects which have been taken by all Waukegan Harbor CAG partners over the past 29 years to bring the Waukegan Harbor Area of Concern and Extended Area of Concern to its current remediation level.
- Audubon Great Lakes – National Audubon Climate Change Report
- Survival by Degrees: 389 Bird species on the Brink
- Two–thirds of America’s birds are threatened with climate change
- Keeping global temperatures down will help up to 76% of them.
- Update: USACE Waukegan Harbor Dredging Project
- Outer Harbor proposed sand placement – Environmental Assessment Status
- Letter from Eugene Fleming, Chief, Environmental Formulation and Analysis Section, USACE – Chicago District
RSVP Penny Bouchard by 08/12/19 at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Get to better know our many CAG members and partners while overlooking the spectacular view of Lake Michigan from the Waukegan Port District patio.||HELP US CELEBRATE…
Recent presentation by Illinois Natural History Survey on Plankton community evaluation in Waukegan Harbor during 2017 and 2018 that shows work will support the attainment of the 5th Beneficial Use Impairment (BUI) delisting out of the 6 required!
|Piping plover hand carved sculpture
honoring Emma England – Lake Co Audubon National Audubon Award
“Sharing Out Shores” at Waukegan Dunes Including Piping Plover Protection Work
|Dinner & soft drinks & water are graciously hosted by several long time CAG members.
You are welcome to bring a bottle of your favorite vintage to share for the celebration!
Fish tissue monitoring – Danielle Nelson, Illinois State Geology Survey, IDNR
- Last season’s monitoring results are in!
- Let’s hope for good news!
Great Lakes Now – Where is the PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) in your water supply?
- Video presentation from Detroit Public Television
ARC GIS Story Mapping
- Waukegan lakefront, and Dead River and Waukegan River Watershed history from inception to present. Following last month’s well received overview on how to create an ARC GIS maps to meet your areas’ needs – we are now gathering all the ideas for themes.
- Please help develop the choices of the historical story themes of the Waukegan area lakefront.
W.G. Jackson research ship visit to Waukegan Harbor
- July 8 through 12, 2019
- Local watershed issues to be tied into this year’s program.
- Requests taken now for a space on one of the three daily, hands-on participation, research tours.